[ale] Backup software

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 16:01:23 EDT 2010

If all data is housed elsewhere, all you need for backup are the config
files changed from the original install versions.

rpm -Va will provide a list of changed files. The ones that have a "c" in
field #2 are config files.

tarball the list of files

Restore is a fresh install from the same source then a tarball overlay and a
reboot. It's faster than any other method around.

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Brandon Wood <woody at 2143.net> wrote:

> This stems from having to reinstall the system after a drive crashed
> (non-raid, no backup of the OS). At this point there are a couple of 500gb
> drives in a RAID 1 setup but I want to make sure I don't have to start from
> scratch should the worst happen.
>
> I'm running CentOS 5.5 on a Proliant ML350 G6. The two 500gb drives are
> setup with software raid in linux currently while the large data drives are
> using the SmartArray raid hardware. I only mention this as mondo had some
> complaints about the raid setup.
>
> I doubt the OS will be messed with much more beyond this point and the
> scripts that do the data processing are backed up on their own. The data
> produced is sent off to another server so there isn't much that changes as
> time goes on so the snapshot may cover me. But I am interested in hearing
> your suggestions for backups / disaster recovery.
>

> On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 6:47 PM, scott <scott at sboss.net> wrote:
>
>> are you looking for "backups"?  "disaster recovery"? or "system image"?
>>
>> mondo works well for recovering a system from a point in time snapshot
>> of the system (when you did the mondo image create - cant remember the
>> terminology right now).
>>
>> mondo is not a backup and recovery tool.
>>
>> mondo is not for disaster recovery (unless you just want to recovery
>> from that one time point in time snapshot).
>>
>> it has been a little while since I used mondo but it has worked well for
>> me in the past.  target HD doesnt have to be the same size.  It can be
>> larger or just larger than what you have backed up.
>>
>> for instance:
>> current HD = 1Tb drive. But only using 300gig
>>
>> recovery system doesnt have to have a 1TB drive.  a 320gig drive from
>> newegg would be fine.  If you are recovering to a non-same-sized drive,
>> you have to go into the system at recovery time (the one you boot off
>> of) and change the drive specs before the actual recovery.
>>
>> scott
>>

>> Brandon Wood wrote:
>> > All,
>> >    I am looking to create an image of a live system and want to know
>> > what software is suggested for this purpose. I've done some searching
>> > and came across 'mondo' and am trying it out now.
>> >
>> > Does anyone have any better suggestions or success stories they want to
>> > share?
>> >
>> > -Woody

James P. Kinney III
Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits

 Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by
faith, then you are conceding that it can’t be taken on its own merits.
   Dan Barker, "Losing Faith in Faith", 1992