[ale] [OT] on grammar

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Tue Jun 29 17:03:34 EDT 2010

Strictly speaking "ain't" isn't a contraction because "am" doesn't
contain "i".  :p

I'm not suggesting that language doesn't evolve or even that it
shouldn't be allowed to evolve (the French however have agencies
specifically to prevent "corruption" of "la belle langue" - go figure).
I was saying that you can't argue it is "proper English" when the
existing rules say it isn't.

Heck, I'm not even saying I wouldn't say "It is me." (or more commonly
"It's me." myself.

Star Trak:TNG Trivia:  Command Data didn't use contractions.  An
imposter was once discovered because he used a contraction.

Anyway this will be my last post on the subject - my first one was meant
more to be amusing than anything else.