[ale] PC shut off

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Tue Jun 29 10:40:37 EDT 2010

On Tue June 29 2010, Robert Reese wrote:
> > Jun 29 04:38:20 paulandcilla smartd[4690]: Device: /dev/sda, SMART Usage
> > Attribute: 194 Temperature_Celsius changed from 120 to 109
>
> /dev/sda is cooking: 107°C ~~ 220°F.  120°C ~~ 250°F
that was then, this is now:
Jun 29 10:08:21 paulandcilla smartd[4690]: Device: /dev/sda, SMART Usage
Attribute: 190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel changed from 58 to 59
Jun 29 10:08:21 paulandcilla smartd[4690]: Device: /dev/sda, SMART Usage
Attribute: 194 Temperature_Celsius changed from 108 to 109
Jun 29 10:08:21 paulandcilla smartd[4690]: Device: /dev/sdb, SMART Prefailure
Attribute: 1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate changed from 98 to 104
Jun 29 10:08:21 paulandcilla smartd[4690]: Device: /dev/sdb, SMART Usage
Attribute: 190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel changed from 53 to 55
Jun 29 10:08:21 paulandcilla smartd[4690]: Device: /dev/sdb, SMART Usage
Attribute: 194 Temperature_Celsius changed from 47 to 45

maybe sdb is blocking sda from getting good airflow..

> > DUST ?? not on MY systems! I used to make my living
> > vacuuming PCs... when I worked in DC, I used to get the trouble calls at
> > Dept. of Ag ( among others). Those old buildings ventilation system
> > was.... just about non-existant.
>
> That explains the jokes about the "Hot Air" coming out of DC.

yeah, I worked in DC for 20 years.. NO COMMENT:)

> >  So I ALWAYS took my vac & cleaned em out before I
> > tried to troubleshoot...
>
> It is amazing how many people are clueless about dust in their computers
> and the problems it cause.  Not terribly surprising, I guess, since there
> isn't any mention in any PC manual regarding dust control, or defragmenting
> their harddrive, or any number of quickly obvious maintenance.  One good
> thing about rock-bottom PC prices is that I get fewer and fewer requests
> from friends, family, and other acquaintances to fix their neglected boxes.

preaching to the choir are we:)

> P.S: Clove Oil (aka Eugenol) is a miracle worker in regards to dental
> pain... I know very, very well how effective it is.  ;c(  Get it from the
> pharmacist or find it in the food flavoring section of the grocery store;
> the bottle will last practically forever and costs just a couple of bucks.
>  If you can't find it alone,  lot of 'dental repair' kits contain it.  BTW,
> Q-Tips are nearly perfect, as is a little tuft of cotton ball wrapped
> around the tip of a toothpick to get into the tight spots.  Also, be aware
> it can, and will, cause 'burning' of soft tissue with over-use.  One thing
> I learned to do was to dilute it in some water and use it as a 'mouthwash'
> (thereby making your whole mouth numb) when I felt adding more pure clove
> oil would be unadvised.
open beer, pour until pain goes away..

> And best wishes on the labor front!!  Hey, have you thought about making
> Android apps?

I'm not a programmer, more a sysadm type.. might be time for a career change!

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800