[ale] PC shut off

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 07:42:30 EDT 2010

I've seen this before with a failing power supply. I've also seen this
associated with a bad motherboard. I have (sadly) also seen this once
associated with software that tried to put a system to sleep and just sent a
power off instead. I doubt that software is the culprit in this case since
it appears this is a home server and would not have need for sleep modes.

I would be most suspicious of power supply first. It's the easiest to change
and lest expensive.

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 6:08 AM, Paul Cartwright <ale at pcartwright.com>wrote:

> I'm still trying to figure out what happened. It doesn't look like there
> was a
> power outage ( no blinking alarm clocks ). My wife got up at 4am, and the
> computer was not on. My log shows nothing in the APC_events file, except
> the
> computer starting back up.
> syslog.0 shows:
>
> Jun 28 22:20:50 paulandcilla last message repeated 8 times
> Jun 29 04:07:41 paulandcilla syslogd 1.5.0#5: restart.
> Jun 29 04:07:41 paulandcilla kernel: klogd 1.5.0#5, log source = /proc/kmsg
> started.
>
> that 22:20 message is an email host mismatch error.. so it was receiving
> email, then... my wife hits the POWER switch at 4:07, to turn it back on. I
> have an APC UPS attached, that will shut it down in case of power outage,
> then UPS is on, and I'm not sure why the PC was off....
>
> --
> Paul Cartwright
> Registered Linux user # 367800
> Registered Ubuntu User #12459
> http://usdebtclock.org/

James P. Kinney III
Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits

 Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by
faith, then you are conceding that it can’t be taken on its own merits.
   Dan Barker, "Losing Faith in Faith", 1992