[ale] [OT] A vent and whine - ignore with dignity

scott scott at sboss.net
Sun Jun 27 21:17:31 EDT 2010

requirement: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional,
Windows 7 Enterprise, or Windows 7 Ultimate

The unit uses DRM built into Windows to do its magic.  This is done on
purpose since the cable companies/MPAA/Hollywood/etc can then push down
their DRM on it at their will with the help of M$.  They dont want you
to keep recordings on your DVR forever.  That is why the ones provided
by the cable companies have soo little drive space and wont let you
expand.  And they dont want homebrewers to have the access or they will
just keep adding and adding space.  Then they (hollywood/MPAA) cant
force you to go and buy the DVD/BlueRays.

Its all about the DRM and force purchases.

sorry about the rant but I just had a very long technical discussion
about this with two people that work for that industry in a techie
position and they couldnt see my point of view.

scott