[ale] GO Windows!!! ;-)

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Tue Jun 22 11:54:00 EDT 2010

On 06/21/2010 02:02 PM, Asher Vilensky wrote:
> The problem is not you and I.  The problem is that you can't "sell"
> Linux (pick any flavor and version) to the mass until these things work
> out of the box.  I want to convert those around me - basically so I
> don't have to keep install virus protection etc.  But I'm hesitant in
> doing so.  I don't want to either have to educate people too much or
> stand there embarrassed when things don't work.   I hate Windows like
> the rest of this group, but I also recognize that Linux is not a viable
> substitute for most users.  Not yet.  I would recommend Mac (to somebody
> like my in-laws) before I suggest Linux.

If you are plugged in to a wired network, Ubuntu should launch the
restricted driver manager (you can launch it manually from System ->
Administration -> Hardware Drivers) and offer to download the broadcom
firmware for you.

I doubt that if you installed any version of Windows the wireless would
have worked either, but I have not tried so I can't swear. I believe the
problem is that Broadcom does not allow anyone else to redistribute the
firmware that their cards need to work.

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts