[ale] Flash Video

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 17:51:17 EDT 2010

On 06/19/2010 03:51 PM, Scott Castaline wrote:
> On 06/19/2010 01:55 PM, Richard Bronosky wrote:
>> Well, you've mixed subjects. The solution to youtube videos is
>> different than the solution to Flash. Youtube supports HTML5 video.
>> You should be able to use Youtube will Chrome or Firefox with the
>> H.264 codec.
>>
> When I try to play online with Firefox I get "An error has occurred,
> please try again later" I am able to download the file(s) as flv and or
> mp4. I am able to play the mp4 on vlc but not the flv. I don't know what
> is different from my F12 setup, but a flv file that I had downloaded was
> playable on F12 but I can't play it now. According to the web site for
> vlc, it has flv capabilities included. So I don't know what's different.
> I also do have the H.264 codec installed as well.
>
>> I don't know if Gnash supports Flash video. Because of the proprietary
>> codecs, I doubt it.
>>
>> On 6/19/10, Scott Castaline<skotchman at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> What alternatives does one have besides Adobe or Novell/M$ Moonlight? I
>>> am not able to view youtube videos or other flash videos. I did have (I
>>> am ashamed to admit it) have moonlight installed on my F12 system. I
>>> thought VLC was supposed to be able to play flv files but it does not
>>> and I don't see any errors.

Richard, I take that back on VLC. The flv files I had copied over from
F12 to F13 must have gotten corrupted somehow. I have downloaded others
as flv format and they play fine. Neither VLC or Fedora gave any
indication that there was anything wrong with the 2 files that didn't
work. VLC just would do nothing and no messages were generated or
anything in the logs. Whatever, now it's just FF that has the problem.
Anyone know what the situation is with Adobe Flash without any FUD? I
have also seen remarks elsewhere that the current version for x86_64
Linux was made unavailable, anyone know what's up or the stroy behind it?