[ale] Where to Start?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 15:29:02 EDT 2010

> Ah! In for the love of the knowledge! A most noble manner. So now what?
> Unless you are paying by the GB for downloads, grab the latest release of
> Fedora, Ubuntu, Slackware, CentOS, Debian, in the form of a live CD for each
> and poke it around. Look under the covers and the command line.

Do all of those have Live CDs now?

I didn't realize they were so ubiquitous.

And you forgot openSUSE which is really cool because it has free
Internet accessible tool for making custom Live CDs (and USB boot
thumb drives).

Are their any of the other distros where I can create a custom Live CD
as firewall as an example by logging into a LiveCD build site,
specifying what packages you want, and off you go.  (Note you
customize your image by running it in a virtual machine on the build
site and ssh'ing in.  All changes you make that way are preserved and
included in the ISO you download and burn.)

Fyi, Lenaud, a live CD is a CD/DVD that you can boot and use the OS.
You would not typically use it long term, but its a great way to
experiment with the various distros and see if you like them at all.

I know one guy that is very project oriented that creates a separate
Live CD for each of his projects and then saves the Live CD away with
his data disks so he can easily recreate his projects exactly as they
were.

note: Like me he works with computer based evidence and he wants to
simply be able to tell the court exactly what tools he used, because
there the tools on the Live CD he stashed away 3 years ago when he did
the work.

Greg