[ale] Where to Start?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 14:17:01 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Lenaud Hughes <lenaudhughes at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Brian Pitts <brian at polibyte.com> wrote:
>
>> On 06/17/2010 05:50 PM, Lenaud Hughes wrote:
>> > I'm completely new to Linux and open source software in general. Where
>> > should a novice, like myself, start in learning about the Linux OS and
>> > participating in open source projects.
>>
>> What are your goals? The answer to your question will vary radically
>> depending on them. It might help to talk a little about your background
>> and and what you currently do with your computer(s).
>>
>> --
>> All the best,
>> Brian Pitts
>

>> I want to thank everyone for their willingness to share information. With
>> all the options available through Linux; it was becoming overwhelming trying
>> to pick which distro to focus on. So, the responses really helped me narrow
>> my scope.
>

>    Some members brought up the concept of professional vs. personal
> aspirations. So as Brian suggested, I'm including a little background to
> clarify my interest. I'm a college student. Prior to entering college  I had
> no experience ( or interest) in coding or anything related to it. In my
> first semester I took an entry level course that used Java to explain
> different concepts and techniques within the computer science field. I fell
> in love with it; the problem solving, the ability to create something out of
> nothing, the entire process of going from problem to algorithm to code to
> solution.
> I immediately changed my major to computer science and began delving into
> the world of software. I came across an article by Joel Spolsky spelling out
> the deficiencies of what he referred to as  the "Java school" student. That
> article led me to a Paul Graham article  which led me to a "How to be a
> Hacker" article which led me to Linux.
> So at this point in my "career"; I'm not too worried about whether my focus
> will be on a commercially-viable distro or otherwise. I more concerned with
> just "digging in" and learning as much as I can. I'm sure once I start
> learning I'll be able to determine whether I need to stick with my first
> choice or change course.
> Thanks again for everyone's assistance.
>                        - Lenaud

Ah! In for the love of the knowledge! A most noble manner. So now what?
Unless you are paying by the GB for downloads, grab the latest release of
Fedora, Ubuntu, Slackware, CentOS, Debian, in the form of a live CD for each
and poke it around. Look under the covers and the command line.

Hard drives are cheap so do an install of 3 or 4 onto their own drives and
tinker. Distro's aren't quite as personal as used underwear but many people
cling to both like they're their long lost twin :-)

Hmm. A distro' are like underwear relation has lots of room for funny....
Must work on that some more...

James P. Kinney III
Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits

 Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by
faith, then you are conceding that it can’t be taken on its own merits.
   Dan Barker, "Losing Faith in Faith", 1992