[ale] nforce smbus: error probing SMB1 and SMB2

jrtroberts jrtroberts at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 22:07:42 EDT 2010

Finally got in touch with someone at Asus that knows about linux.  He
said that he thinks it is a problem with the chipset.  The graphics are
probably faulty because the on board graphics are integrated into the
chipset, so they are inseparable it would seem.  It seems Asus has been
having many boards come back with problems related to Nvidia chipsets
and Linux.
His only two recommendations:
Boot Ubuntu with the no APIC flag set.  ( can anyone give me a quick
tutorial on how to accomplish this?)
Don't use Mobo's with Nvidia chipsets when running linux because Nvidia
does not release the source for the chipset drivers so linux developers
just have to do the best they can to work with what they've got.  (Not
sure I agree, but it makes sense.)

Maybe there will be a fix in the future.

Joshua