[ale] samba <> Master Browser

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 14:38:30 EDT 2010

I did the same thing a long time back much to the consternation of the
_real_ windows domain admin.

The plus to have Samba as domain master (besides the coolness factor :-) is
the ability to have Samba as the file storage share system with now an
unlimited number of connecting clients to access the file. Otherwise you
have to buy a client license for each user after 5 if using a windows
server.

Samba is a fantastic project.

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 2:25 PM, <jcpilman at gmail.com> wrote:

> This may be old news to most of you, but I just found out.
>
> Our network at the office is a Windows Workgroup. So when I installed
> Ubuntu 10.04 and started using samba at the office, my computer became
> the Domain Master Browser. (Don't be tricked by the ambiguity of the
> word 'domain' in this context.) This caused some grief for the Windows
> users here, because my computer is not always on the network. So I
> made the following changes to the defaults in /etc/samba/smb.conf
>
> domain master = no
> local master = no
> preferred master = no
>
> Of course, you sometimes want the Linux box to be master.
>
> The documentation is pretty good about explaining why this works;
> although, it did not mean much to me until I saw it in action.
>
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetworkBrowsing.html
>

> ...John

James P. Kinney III
Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits

 Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by
faith, then you are conceding that it can’t be taken on its own merits.
   Dan Barker, "Losing Faith in Faith", 1992