[ale] OT: has anyone on the list tried out one of the chinese 7" netbooks that ebay is being flooded with yet?

Byron Jeff byronjeff at clayton.edu
Sat Jun 5 12:17:32 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 10:13:26AM -0400, Van Loggins wrote:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Android-7-WiFi-mini-laptop-Netbook-ul-thin-450MHz-2GB-/110537856068?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item19bc91d444
>
> I was looking at getting one with the google android OS on it instead of the windows CE 5.0 variants I've seen

My daughter won one in a contest. I haven't gotten around to trying to
install Linux on it yet.

> I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to play with one and what your thoughts were on it.

Small, slow, cheap, cheesy. Almost like a toy.

But for sub $100 and the tiny form factor, it has just enough accessibility
to be marginally useful.

> I'm looking at getting one or maybe one of the google tablets like this
> one
> http://cgi.ebay.com/7-Google-Android-notebook-Netbook-Tablet-PC-UMPC-MID-/160439967941?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item255af7a0c5
> instead.

Looks about the same as the others.

It may be worth $100 just to play. But walk in with low expectations.

BAJ

> Thanks for your feedback.

Byron A. Jeff
Program Coordinator: IT/CS/CNET
College of Information and Mathematical Sciences
Clayton State University
http://cims.clayton.edu/bjeff