[ale] windows virus?

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Thu Jun 3 18:19:00 EDT 2010

On Thu June 3 2010, Preston Boyington wrote:
> > I grepped for almost everything in that malware filename with no success
> > so I ASSuME it is gone, but I haven't had a reason to start wine, or
> > whatever scenario I ran, I can't duplicate..
>
> I have to admit that I'm curious about the whole thing.  I wasn't sure
> if there was a dual-boot and WINE was used to run a program in the
> Windows directory that activated the malware OR if it was something that
> installed itself via the webbrowser from a site someplace.
my desktop is dual boot, but I haven't booted windows since... Jan 2009 ?
I mounted that partition, here is part of the listing:

dr-x------  1 root root          0 Jan 16  2009 Config.Msi
dr-x------  1 root root      24576 Jan 16  2009 Program Files
-r--------  1 root root 2145386496 Jan 16  2009 pagefile.sys
-r--------  1 root root 2145300480 Jan 16  2009 hiberfil.sys
dr-x------  1 root root     122880 Jan 16  2009 WINDOWS

> I flippantly told an Ubuntu/Fedora user yesterday that 'WINE has
> arrived!  It won't be long before we can run EVERYTHING on Linux like
> Windows does!'
with the specialized versions ( non-free) you can do games that wine won't
run, so just about everything works now.. not sure about vista & Windows 7...

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800