[ale] BP knew of problems 11 months before the rig blew - further OT

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Tue Jun 1 14:06:58 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 13:45 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:

First things first:  Jim you are a non-name caller!  There, I said it.

Second, in a more serious vain:  When I heard the news I thought this
was an example of corners cut.  I am former Navy, 10years, working the
flight deck of carriers.  Accidents don't just happen, they result from
either previous unknown conditions are from cutting corners.  Ocean
drilling has been going on for some time, so I have to think we were
cutting corners (figurative we).  I am not against business, love
capitalism systems and wish we had one, but it is my gut reaction that
BP is negligent on this and also the Government is to slow to move on
this and they should have been moving much, much faster.  This kind of
thing is what The Government is for.

I do not believe this should curtail further drilling.  We should
perform postmortem to find the root cause and then make the resulting
conclusions codified to prevent the event from happening again.

The post by some one else listing the retired oil guy was informative:
If he is right, this happened due to lack of experience in dealing the
the pressure.  It will still be expensive to fix (the damage of
surrounding shore line and economic effects of Gulf based businesses).
But until we can replace petrol, we need to exploit what we have.

I am sure Linux can help with all of that!