[ale] BP knew of problems 11 months before the rig blew

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 10:00:34 EDT 2010

Given the preponderance of info that suggests the decision to continue was
made in opposition to the data at hand, I strongly suspect the management OS
is Windows. That platform has the apps that C-level and vice-president level
decisions are based on using pretty graphs prepared by minions and bean
counters.

A forced switch to a new platform would require a rewrite of a lot of code
that would also entail a rethink of the underlying math and principles
(business principles - almost an oxymoron).

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Chris Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com>wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 09:08 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> > If BP had used LINUX for their modelling application platform...
>
> A lot of these companies do use Linux heavily.  Years back was working
> with two companies in Houston, TX that use large Linnux clusters to
> analyze survey data to pinpoint possible locations for oil and other
> minerals.  These companies primary existence was based on their ability
> to locate the goods.  They did not drill.  They took surveys using
> various equipment and used rooms for of Linux nodes to crunch numbers
> and create positive matches for their customers.
>
> One of these companies used either Oracle or SQL Server on Windows as a
> data store then the Linux clusters would download that data and crunch
> them.

James P. Kinney III
Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits