[ale] Planned obsolescence / Computers for Schools

Mon Jul 26 18:20:13 EDT 2010

I think those professors discovered an age old phenomenon: The rich
keep getting richer and the poor keep getting poorer, because they
each keep doing the behaviors that make them that way. Of course there
are exceptions. As far as generalities are concerned, that's a pretty
reliable one.

On 7/26/10, Jim Lynch <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> wrote:
> On 07/26/2010 12:09 PM, Chris Fowler wrote:
>> On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 09:24:21 -0400
>> "Lightner, Jeff"<jlightner at water.com>  wrote:
>>

>>>   Maybe the
>>> poster didn't go to school as far back as the late 70s but with the
>>> rapid change and adoption of IT for home and business even saying it
>>> should be the way it was just a few years ago at some random HS
>>> doesn't make much sense to me.
>>>
>> No 70s for me.  More like 80s.
>>
>> My concern with computers are that they will not be used as a learning
>> tool but instead a distraction.   When I was doing computers if you
>> wanted the computer to do cool things then you had to make it do cools
>> things by writing code.  Today there is so much distraction on the
>> Internet.
>>

> Studies seem to support your concern:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/21/digital_divide_worsened_by_tech/
>
> Jim.