[ale] Planned obsolescence / Computers for Schools

Tom Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sat Jul 24 15:12:09 EDT 2010

I'll rise to the flame bait.

I must agree to a large degree with respect to the usability of _most_
computer based education support. Of course, this is partly just the
learning curve of a new technology, and computers are a new technology. I
expect that another two or three generations will be needed to shake out
many of the concepts which are needed, and leave the rest behind.

That said, which is more important: learning to add, subtract, multiply,
divide etc and have a feel for the results or punching mindlessly into a
calculator and regurgitating the results? I have used a calculator in the
past to gain familiarity with the numbers in a problem domain which
strikes me as useful. I have also had a few students who were perfectly
happy to miskey a chemical problem (subtract smaller volume from larger
volume was the goal, and they added) and happily go ahead the their
blatently wrong answer.

The point of writing an essay is to place words in a sensible order in
order to communicate a result. Hand written does the job just as well as
word processed, especially if the typing skills are weak. OTOH, once the
skill of getting words in some order is present, some form of electronic
editing sure makes it easier to play with the wording to improve its
impact, and can be sooo much easier for somebody else to read.

My personal take? Early educational use of electronic aids during the
skill aquisition stage is probably wasted effort. When it comes time to
play with those aquired skills, the electronic aids allow more play with
less drudgery, ie. an aid to learning or a tool.

IMHO, YMMV, etc.