[ale] man man

David A. De Graaf dad at datix.us
Wed Jul 21 11:58:11 EDT 2010

Fedora provides /etc/man.config to handle this sort of thing.
IMHO, the default setup needs to be changed:

    # diff man.configSTD man.config
    105c105
    < PAGER         /usr/bin/less -is
    ---
    > PAGER         /usr/bin/less -IcsRMX
    131c131
    < #MANDEFOPTIONS        -a
    ---
    > MANDEFOPTIONS -a

This is the preferred place to make such changes, I think.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 01:25:13PM -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-07-19 at 10:39 -0400, Scott McBrien wrote:
> > It's a less option to not clear the screen on exit.
> >
> > There is a less variable that contains commandline arguments for less.
> > I don't remember the option off the top of my head, but it is in the
> > less man page, as is the variable that holds the less arguments.
> > Something like:
> > export LESS_OPTS="-c"
> >
> > But again, check the man page for both variable name and command opt.
>
> As rs at ale.spam.futz.org pointed out, use the LESS shell variable to
> control the behavior of the less pager.  To make it all explicit, I'd do
> the following in your shell's startup script:
>
> MANPAGER=less
> LESS='-X'
>
> export MANPAGER LESS
>
> Then all your shell sessions will have the same behavior.
>
> What I don't know is whether or not there will be any side effects, the
> man page says this:
>
>         -X or --no-init
>               Disables  sending  the termcap initialization and deini-
>               tialization strings to the terminal.  This is  sometimes
>               desirable  if the deinitialization string does something
>               unnecessary, like clearing the screen.
>
> It would seem to me like this could mean that you may occasionally have
> terminal states that less won't be able to deal with; you might have to
> use the reset(1) command to make things work properly in such an event.
>
> 	--- Mike

	David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hendersonville, NC
	dad at datix.us         www.datix.us