[ale] Free, trustworthy, anti-virus software

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Jul 20 22:33:04 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 14:11 -0400, krwatson at cc.gatech.edu wrote:
> I recently ran into my first problem. I have an external hard drive
> that I keep all my security utilities on. There are a number of the
> utilities that are considered malware by virtually all anti-virus
> vendors which means they keep deleting them. The solution is to set an
> exclusion for the external hard.
>
> The problem is the latest version of F-Prot will not let you exclude
> an entire drive. Even Microsoft Security Essentials will let me
> exclude an entire drive.
>
> Sigh :(  I will have to find another solution.

Uhm, so the question needs to be asked: what sort of utilities are
(apparently falsely) flagged as malware?  Is there no way to contact
these vendors and have them fix their software, or no way to put such
utilities in a single folder and have your F-Prot ignore just that one
single folder?

I'd be pretty leery about bypassing any folders on a scan, unless I were
keeping a suite of viruses, malware, and etc., for who-knows-what
reason.  Just my own 2¢, of course.

	--- Mike