[ale] initramfs capable of a multi-device btrfs / new initramfs with dracut help?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Jul 16 15:57:09 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 13:19 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> You have something really misconfigured somewhere.  Or the kernel or
> initrd you have doesn't have all the raid toys compiled in it and it
> must wait to get to the real / for access to the modules.

The research that I've done leads me to believe that I setup the RAID
array incorrectly.  I'm slowly fixing it, but I have to do it
incrementally.

Basically, I set it all up to be in a series of RAID autodetect
partitions.  However, when the system would boot up, it would only bring
3 of the 5 drives online, and it would say that the other two drives
were failed.  Now, I have 3 of the five drives out of RAID autodetect
partitions, and this weekend I am getting the last two drives out of the
autodetect partitions.  Then I will simply have a boot-up script that
will mount the thing with a command.

I don't know what would be misconfigured; the /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf has
the right stuff in it, and the kernel has all the RAID stuff in its
initrd although it shouldn't be necessary; the operating system is on a
standard normal MBR partition, the RAID6 array just holds data
(and /usr/local).

	--- Mike