[ale] [OT] why political posts on ALE blow up into garbage

Brian W. Neu ale at advancedopen.com
Wed Jul 14 13:16:17 EDT 2010

On 7/14/2010 12:17 PM, Robert Reese wrote:
> Very cool analysis and interesting analogy.  I agree with you except I'd put Linux with the Libertarians and Mac with the Liberals - switching them essentially.

Ditto, for the most part.

Keep in mind though that anytime people form a group, leadership
positions, which contain power, attract the most power-hungry
personalities.  Those with that personality prioritize their power above
that of individual liberties.  This is why the history of the world has
a rise and fall of republics and (faster fall for) democracies.  When
the power-hungry types get control, they inevitably collapse the system
from within due to over-inflated egos convincing them they can just
conjure artificial financial fundamentals and the economy will assume a
new reality centered around them.  Vanity drives the decisions and leads
to a complete downfall.  (I am always reminded of the last line of "The
Devil's Advocate" where Pacino says, "Vanity, definitely my favorite sin." )

Now I've come across some Apple-types and some Linux-types that fit this
bill.  Their egos are so tied up in their choice of computing platform
that they would withhold concession of any inferiority to their deaths.
But aside from the "wing-nuts" of whatever political side, the majority
of Linux enthusiasts are simply seeking a quality solution to fit their
needs which doesn't involve an erroneous amount of red tape (licensing
confusion, closed source mysteries).  They want the freedom to do as
they choose of their own free will.  That's a Libertarian.