[ale] [OT] why political posts on ALE blow up into garbage

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 10:18:04 EDT 2010

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128490874

"A new body of research out of the University of Michigan suggests that's
not what happens, that we base our opinions on beliefs and when presented
with contradictory facts, we adhere to our original belief even more
strongly. "

The article is a transcript of an interview so it's a bit disjointed. The
meat of the discussion begins around the first

(Soundbite of laughter)

James P. Kinney III
Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits

  Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by
faith, then you are conceding that it can’t be taken on its own merits.
    Dan Barker, "Losing Faith in Faith", 1992