[ale] And now, on topic - laptop hardware recommendations

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 17:28:30 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Lightner, Jeff <jlightner at water.com> wrote:
> My Dell laptop hasn't had any issues but it is a Dimension 630
> (commercial grade).  We also do all our Linux servers on Dell PowerEdge
> servers and we've not seen major issues on those either.  We even have a
> Dell OptiPlex workstation with Linux on it.
>
> Early on, circa 2005, Dell's Enterprise Linux support team was a major
> mess but they've gotten a lot better over time.  It seems like someone
> there got the message and made a point of building a real team.
> Back before that they once really annoyed me by suggesting I load
> Windows on Linux server so I could install the firmware update as their
> Linux BIN file didn't work.   (I eventually figured out what the issue
> was with their BIN file because they wouldn't even look at it.)
> Nowadays their BIN files work swimmingly.

I know this is a bit bais, but I haven't any issue with openSUSE on
any Dell. I even got my sprint wireless service to work on openSUSE
under Gnome. I have good luck with Sony as well. The one that I have
major issues with Leveno/IBM. I tried openSUSE, Fedora, and Ubuntu.

I am running openSUSE 11.2 Dell M6400, though I will never own a 17"
again. If I want a work station, I will build one.

+5 on Dell and Linux.