[ale] poll: WRT54G 3rd-party firmware for wireless bridge

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 14:03:02 EDT 2010

And if you want 1000Mbps ports  for WAN and LAN, draft N wireless and print
server and file server functions look at the
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320038

It advertises it supports DD-WRT!!!

It's more $$ than the linksys....

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 1:29 PM, William Fragakis <william at fragakis.com>wrote:

> for anyone who wants to join the fun, newegg has a sale on the 54gl
>
> use promo code EMCYVZP34 for another $5 off.
>
> not that I get a commission.
>
> wf
>
> On Tue, 2010-07-13 at 13:04 -0400, Brian MacLeod wrote:
> >
> > On 7/12/10 9:58 PM, Ed Cashin wrote:
> > >
> > > Hey hey!  It is via cat 6 to DD-WRT LAN port to wireless to Airport
> > > Extreme to cable modem to comcast to y'all that I report success in
> > > using Brian's steps.  :)
> >

> > Excellent.  I was reciting that from memory, and worried I had missed
> > something.
> >

> > > And DD-WRT is very nice.  I hope this keeps working.  Brian, if you
> > > haven't already, please consider putting these steps on the web.  The
> > > info on the DD-WRT site is overwhelming.
> >

> > Now that my site [1] is back under my ownership and not a place for
> > militant Islamic support (yeah, that was fun, btw), I'll do that. The
> > community site is loaded with different and contradictory steps, and the
> > forums are (or were) active, which of course means the good stuff gets
> > buried deep.
> >
> > It will be important for me to do that since I'm about to engage in
> > another topic with DD-WRT: multiple ISPs and how to "easily" set up the
> > routing.
> >

> > > By the way, I used the 30-30-30 hard reset only after flashing the
> > > DD-WRT firmware using the Tomato GUI.  Was that as rash as the
> > > "peacock thread" makes it sound?  Also, I used the 12548 firmware
> > > build instead of 13064, because the peacock thread told me to.
> >

> > I haven't a clue honestly.  I have seen, on occasion, the 30-30-30 reset
> > do something more than a regular reset, but those occasions seem to be,
> > in my experience, rare.  Not only that, Asus routers aren't exactly fond
> > of this procedure (ask my two bricks how they are doing).
> >
> > I know not of the peacock thread.  As you may have guessed with my
> > response above, I find their good bits buried, and most of the time I
> > don't bother looking because I know I'll get sucked into (somewhat
> > related) debates about something.
> >
> > I'll just assume some one was strutting around like they knew all about
> > the DD-WRT software and the hardware it runs on.
> >

> > Brian
> >
> > [1] Wow, you actually came down here to find the site?  It is very low
> > on content at the moment (refocus thanks to the hacking).
> > http://litterboxofageek.com
> >
> > Don't get any of the brown stuff on ya.

James P. Kinney III
Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits

  Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by
faith, then you are conceding that it can’t be taken on its own merits.
    Dan Barker, "Losing Faith in Faith", 1992