[ale] [OT] The Marketing Deluded Consumer Society Explained

Larry Johnson larryfeltonjohnson at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 11:43:02 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 8:18 AM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:

> that was hysterical!!!
>
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 6:21 PM, Michael Hirsch <mdhirsch at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 8:40 PM, Aaron Ruscetta <arxaaron at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >  iPhone  vs  HTC  Evo Android
>> >
>> > Also, may be too true to be funny.
>> >
>> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg
>>
>> No, that was so true it was hilarious.  I laughed till I cried.
>>
>> Michael

It's absolutely true (and hilarious).  But phones aren't the worst arena
where the marketing stupidity kicks in.  As a cyclist I watch people become
convinced that their weekend and evening cycling (requires that they be
equipped for the Tour De France.  About three years ago I did the MAAC's One
Love Century (hundred mile bike ride) and wound up partnering with a guy who
spent the last 20 miles of the ride trying to convince me that the reason I
was struggling was that my $1000 road bike was inadequate, and that I should
have a $5000 bike with a $400 wheelset like his.  I tried to explain as
gently as I could, that no, it was because I was (at that time) 57 years
old, had already ridden 80 miles, and the temperature had reached 103
degrees.  I expected to struggle, and having the latest in carbon fiber
technology would only have helped me marginally.

Larry
--
"I see design standards that don't tell you how to come up with a good
design (only how to write it down), employee evaluation standards that don't

                                     Tom DeMarco
                                      Slack