[ale] Off topic - And now, Arizona

Sean kilpatms at speakeasy.net
Mon Jul 12 10:26:58 EDT 2010

 relatively easy solution.

Institute a policy of 2 years of national service for everyone.  Between 18-25
everyone (men, women, blind, "physically challenged, etc.) would owe the
government two years of service.  I think this has been the policy throughout the
EU (except maybe for GB) for decades.  Don't want to do two years in the
military, then join the  C.C.C.  God knows the infrastructure within our National
Parks is in desperate need of repair. Can't do that, then scut work is available
in the nursing homes. (One on my foreign exchange students from Germany did just
that for two years -- he is now a full PhD in Physics, so it didn't slow him down
noticeably.)
But if everyone had to do 2 years of national service before being eligible for a
voting card, the political landscape would change.  I'd also offer citizenship to
illegal immigrants who do four years of national service, but that's just me. :)
I vividly remember the Draft while we were in Vietnam.  If we had something like
it today, the outcry to get out of Pakistan, Afganistan,etc. would be deafening.

Sean

On Mon Jul 12 10:02 , Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> sent:

>On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 7:23 AM, wolf at wolfhalton.info <wolf at wolfhalton.info> wrote:
>

>Reduce the military budget by 15% - we will still be bigger than the next 5
combined.

>Quit the military adventures in oil country - or send only the children of
congress-people and senators...

>Heh, heh. When the wealthy have to sacrifice their own children in the armed
pursuit of their lifestyle, the decision to go the war will no longer be made for
business interests but purely for the physical defense of the soil of the nation.
Let those that choose war lead the first charge up the first hill.

>more fantasy time...
>
>--
>--
>James P. Kinney III
>Actively in pursuit of Life, Liberty and Happiness
>Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits
>
>  Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by faith,
then you are conceding that it can’t be taken on its own merits.