[ale] Off topic - And now, Arizona

Larry Johnson larryfeltonjohnson at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 17:22:28 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 4:49 PM, Larry Johnson
<larryfeltonjohnson at gmail.com>wrote:

> No.  I'm thinking of the actual proposal Oxendine has on the table to
> connect GA 400 with I-675 by obliterating Morningside, Virginia Highlands,
> Inman Park, and East Atlanta.  Oxendine actually took a bit of heat for it
> early in the campaign, but basically stated that he loved East Atlanta, but
> we all had to make sacrifices for the greater good (as in destroying some of
> the best neighborhoods in Metro Atlanta).
>
> Larry

Look, here's the grain of salt anything I say should be taken with.

I'm a sixty year old southern guy, who grew up intown in Atlanta, and have
basically stayed here.  I was involved in the Civil Rights movement, and my
center of gravity is solidly on the Left.  When anyone complains that I'm
insisting on "political correctness" I take that to mean "gee, we'd really
like to make racist jokes, but you're being such a puritanical spoiled
sport".  I never got caught up in the personality cult of Reagan, although
compared to the depressing anti-intellectualism of the "Tea Party" movement
Reagan was Will Durant.  I believe the earth is somewhere around 4 billion
years old, that human generated global warming is a simple scientific fact,
but that no matter what I believe some wingnut is going to be elected
governor of Georgia.  If that wingnut is Oxendine I'll help raise the money
for the lawsuit to block the destruction of the City of Atlanta.

Cheers,
Larry