[ale] I am so tired of Linux Fanatics

drifter drifter at oppositelock.org
Thu Jul 8 15:15:16 EDT 2010

Arghhhh!!!!!

The one problem with this attitude is that much of the documentation
available in the Linux world is horribly written and all but
undecypherable. Most of it assumes a solid background knowledge of
Linux in general AND knowledge of the specific flavor -- Debian, Red Hat,
etc.  Newbies to Linux simply do not have the background knowledge
to get much useful data from convoluted, jargon-filled docs. I've mostly
used Red Hat versions of Linux for the past 10 years or so, and I'm
discovering that in the Ubuntu/Debian world various bits and pieces of
the OS aren't where I expect them to be.

Just look at the man pages.  And, of course, it is hard to use the man
pages if you do not already know the name of the command you need
to use. This is my most common problem:  I need a command I use MAYBE
once a year and I can't remember it's name. And my O'reilly "Linux Pocket
Guide" doesn't always answer my question.  Google is your friend -- IF you
can manage to phrase the search query correctly.

Is the Windoze world any better?  Damned if I know. I abandoned MIcrosoft
at Windows 3.1.  The only thing I have missed is some of my Photoshop
plug-ins  that provide functionality that is still lacking in The Gimp.

Sean