[ale] OT: Slow response

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 10:13:16 EDT 2010

On 07/08/2010 01:10 AM, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-08 at 00:28 -0400, Scott Castaline wrote:
>>   >  Today, I have a DOCSIS 3 cablemodem that doubles as an IPv4 router.
>> It
>>> does well with IPv4 traffic (much better than the DOCSIS 2 version
>> of
>>> this cable modem/router did, which was sensitive as hell), and I
>> have my
>>> home server doing IPv6 routing via Hurricane Electric.
>>>
>>> That said, it shouldn't be an IPv6 issue, as Amazon doesn't publish
>> IPv6
>>> addresses that I can see.
>>>
>> Unfortunately my last gig was back in 2000, didn't get a chance to
>> play with IPv6 back then. I'm the type that has to get dirty to learn,
>> just reading goes in one eye and out the other,,,,
>
> So learn at home!  :-)
>
> Setup a server at home and have it do things, learn how to set it up to
> be a router, get a tunnel from HE... the possibilities are endless!  :)
>
> 	--- Mike

I'm slowly getting there, just hard to get some of it together on
disability pay. But that has been my intent. I did have a couple of
boxen back around 00, 01. I may bring one of them back out of
retirement. It's a Dell PowerEdge 1400 800MHz Dual processor (only has 1
though) with 512MB and 3 SCSI Ultra Wide 160s. It was a good system,
just noisy as hell. I also have a wife that might not like the idea of
taking up that much room with the equipment as well as the noise. She
feels that I need to be doing other things, basically, to get a life as
some would say. But she has also said that I'm one who isn't happy until
I've blown something up :o

I'd like to get a mini ITX with just enough CPU power and memory without
having to worry about super cooling and maybe one of those SSDs (I think
30GB would probably do it with no GUI just back to CLI) use that as a
router. I just need to have something for backup while doing it and when
I blow it up. I've been in the field since 79 until the end of july 00
so I do remember somethings even though some of the beer along the way
more than likely killed off a few brain cells.:)