[ale] I am so tired of Linux Fanatics

Paul Cartwright ale at pcartwright.com
Thu Jul 8 07:34:11 EDT 2010

On Wed July 7 2010, Jim Philips wrote:
> The problem with RTFM is the assumption that the fine manual was well
> written in the first place. I have been using Linux since 1995 and I have
>  always felt that the man pages were written in exceptionally poor fashion.
> The immediate underlying assumption is that you need to know about
> *everything* and that most basic functions of a command are beside the
> point. The man page for grep is an excellent example. They never go
> straight to the point. The high use examples are always buried somewhere
> that you would least be likely to look for them. The "F" in RTFM is not at
> all deserved. How can I find a file containing "x" in my home directory?
> The question will only be answered in the most convoluted way.

I forget the man page I was looking for once, but the option I was looking for
was somewhere in 3,000 lines of gobbledegook, and I couldn't find it.. some
of those man pages are just totally outrageous! This App I used to install
came out with a new version, and it didn't install right. I read the
installation guide backwards & forwards, with no help. I finally asked
the "GURU" and he said " oh, that option is listed in the release-notes!!

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800