[ale] I am so tired of Linux Fanatics

Larry Johnson larryfeltonjohnson at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 17:20:14 EDT 2010

Yikes!!! This thread has run the entire gamut of implicit philosophies on
how questions to internet forums should be both asked and answered!  And
I've been on this "internet" thing since 1989  or so.  Long before Wonkette
set the tone for really proper discussion.  I know a bit of the etiquette
(or "nettiquette") .

I'm in the process of setting up  bochs to host Minix 3.  I've  spent  more
time figuring out the norms for questions on the Minix 3 and bochs forums
than I have actually formulating the questions in a clear manner.
Thankfully neither forum is populated with people who scream the mantra
RTFM!!! at every opportunity.  Especially since my experience with reading
manuals has endowed me with the ability to point out the basic crappiness of
most manuals.

The first question ANYONE should ask of themselves when answering a question
from a newbie is not "Did they jump through the proper hoops?", but "Can I
advance the interest of things important to me by being patient with this
freakin' question?".