[ale] I am so tired of Linux Fanatics

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 14:22:16 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Narahari 'n' Savitha
<savithari at gmail.com> wrote:
> I second this completely.  I feel sometimes that Linus is not where it is
> becuase of the arrogance advance users show.

Meh, everyone has their own definition of "where it needs to be." For
me, it is exactly where it needs to be. Linux is a wonderful server
OS.

> If you dont know perl or python or shell scripting you are frowned upon.

That would depend on the problem you are trying to solve.

> Then there are the tools. Simple things like how to autostart anything is
> not easy to understand.

That depends on your environment. Do you want to start something on
boot? If so, what init[1] system are you using? Sys V? BSD? Something
else? Or are you trying to start something when you launch X? Then you
have to specify which desktop environment you are using, if one at
all.

> There is help but the forums or irc its all a PIA.

Linux is no different than any other OS. You can read the help files
(manpages), search with Google, or join a discussion (mailing list,
IRC, web forum, etc.).

> Hopefully Linux does NOT self destruct.
>
> -Narahari

Linux is not going to self destruct unless you install it into a self
destructing bomb. It is the Swiss Army Knife of the OS world. You can
pretty much make Linux do whatever you need to do given enough time
and resources.

[1] -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Init

--
James Sumners