[ale] Ubuntu upgrade

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 19:20:21 EDT 2010

since it sounds like the system is going into a non-multi-user mode by
default, lets try a test to see if it will go to a full X session.

boot it to the root login prompt and enter the root password. run telinit 3
and log in as a regular user. run startx and test if the system x will run

If all of that succeeds, logout as regular user and back in as root and run
telinit 5. If that's OK then the upgrade broke and didn't finish configuring
the grub setting.

So the file to edit manually in fedora-land is /boot/grub/grub.conf and in
ubuntu-land it's /boot/grub/menu.1st (I think). That is what grub uses to
know what stuff to pass to the kernel during the initial start up. Odds are
you won't find "single" on any kernel line but if you do, delete it.

Maybe I'm being stubborn but I _like_ /etc/inittab. However adding
RUNLEVEL=5 to the grub kernel line won't break anything.

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 5:18 PM, drifter <drifter at oppositelock.org> wrote:

> I continue my descent into madness with this issue.
>
> {Someone asked about the version of Grub. It is 0.97}
>
> With the help and hints of this community I have been exploring
> the idea that I have an "upstart" problem.
>
> Watching the boot process carefully, I see that I get an Ubuntu
> splash screen, complete with graphic for maybe two tenths of a
> second before the command prompt appears.  That indicates to
> me that for a brief moment the Xserver is running.   Then, I'm
> guessing, something kills it.
>
> Hunting around I discovered /usr/share/doc/upstart. This directory contains
> the file, README.Debian.gz.  Ha, I thought. the answer to my problem may
> lie
> within.  But the file is owned by root, and there is no way for Joe user
> to unpack the file!!!!!!!!  Sometimes I just do not understand the
> convoluted minds of programmers.  What sort of peeled idiot would make
> a README file unreadable?
>
> Had to chown the file AND the directory to gain access.
>
> Now the fun begins:
>
> Reading the README file led me to /etc/init/rc-sysinit.conf
>
> It contains these lines:
>
> # Default runlevel, this may be overriden on the kernel command line
> #or by faking an old /etc/inittab entry
> env DEFAULT_RUNLEVEL=2
>

> Further down in the same file these lines appear:
>
>  # Check kernel command-line for typical arguments
>    for ARG in $(cat /proc/cmdline)
>    do
>        case "${ARG}" in
>        -b|emergency)
>            # Emergency shell
>            [ -n "${FROM_SINGLE_USER_MODE}" ] || sulogin
>            ;;
>        [0123456sS])
>            # Override runlevel
>            DEFAULT_RUNLEVEL="${ARG}"
>            ;;
>        -s|single)
>            # Single user mode
>            [ -n "${FROM_SINGLE_USER_MODE}" ] || DEFAULT_RUNLEVEL=S
>            ;;
>        esac
>    done
>
> Doing  <cat/proc/cmdline> returns this:
>
> root=UUID=[long HEX string] ro quiet splash
>

> Now I have new questions:
>
> If I were to change the DEFAULT_RUNLEVEL to 5, would that help?
>
> ----------------------
>
> To answer some other questions:
>
> David Tomaschik asked if there any lines above the root prompt?
> Nothing the least bit unusual there. The prompt I get needs a login/pswd
> pair and then I get a new prompt and can type "startx"
>
> I tried following David's suggestion of booting in recovery mode.  That may
> have helped some of the underlying problems, but at the end of that process
> I am still looking at the login prompt. The Xserver is not running.
> Trying a reboot.  Well, that's interesting. Logged in and typed "shutdown
> now" only to be told that I have to be root to do that. So tried "sudo
> shutdown now" and it still wanted the root password, not my user password.
> [...]

James P. Kinney III
Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits

 Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by
faith, then you are conceding that it can’t be taken on its own merits.
   Dan Barker, "Losing Faith in Faith", 1992