[ale] a little contract work

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Fri Jan 29 20:05:42 EST 2010

Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> All the more reason.  Should build up on a new box with contemporary
> software, then work out a switchover.  There's trouble...and then
> there's *asking* for trouble.
>
> On 1/29/10 9:14 AM, Geoffrey wrote:
>
>> Jim Kinney wrote:
>>

>>> Fedora 1 should NOT be used
>>> Highly recommend instant upgrade to current CentOS with all compat libs
>>> for backward capability.
>>>

>> Believe me, I've suggested that many a time, he doesn't want to spend
>> the downtime.  This thing is a webserver , vpn server and mail server,
>> running out of his home on AT&T dsl.

I can't imagine anyone being able to economically devote the amount of
time necessary to set up a mail server on a system this old would be
cheaper than purchasing a new system and installing something current
like (as suggested) Centos or Ubuntu.  A real magician would make it
work the first time, but the rest of us would waste more time trying to
figure out why the thing didn't work than installing a new system on new
hardware.

I don't even think an Indian consulting firm would agree to so something
that foolish.  ;)

Jim.