[ale] File server syncronization

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Jan 27 23:40:45 EST 2010

On 01/27/2010 11:30 PM, David Ritchie wrote:
> Brian,
>     thanks for the overview... I am leaning towards Unison currently,
> but will need to determine
> how 'real time' this has to be... I am thinking that it will be ok if
> it runs every 10 minutes or so,
> in reality. otherwise, lots of filesystem scanning..
>
> Thanks to everyone for your insight on this - it is appreciated.

I've successfully used Unison in the past to sync data between two
production systems that only needed to be sync'd between the two systems
every hour or so.  It would run at the top of the hour, every hour, and
if there were ever a reason to run it at an additional time, I would
sometimes do so manually (depending on the reason and how far away from
the next sync it was, anyway).

It worked really well, and it ran reasonably fast.  That said, the tree
that it was syncing was only about 15 MB, so of course it didn't take
long when only a few tens or hundreds of KiB of data changed.

	--- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                    Blog: http://mike.trausch.us/blog/
Tel: (404) 592-5746 x1                            Email: mike at trausch.us