[ale] SATA Hard Drive Issues?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 16:37:57 EST 2010

Yes. Amorphous diamond coatings are applied to (some) hard drives. But I'll
bet the replacement order from Sun didn't happen until after the warranty
was over :).

Diamond dust in the drive factory would be a major fubar event. The platter
coating process by default must be kept away from everything else int he
factory as it does make sub-micron size "clinkers" that are diamond-like and
can thus be a major contaminant.

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Lightner, Jeff <jlightner at water.com>
> wrote:
> <snip>
> > Identical manufacture dates can be a problem for disks.  At a prior job
> > we had a Sun D1000 array and ultimately were told by Sun that all the
> > drives in that array needed to be replaced due to "diamond dust" in the
> > factory at the time of manufacture.  (We had several other of these
> > arrays that never saw the same level of issues.)  I'm not sure I ever
> > believed the "diamond dust" explanation as Sun was the same company that
> > tried to blame "cosmic rays" for the E10K CPU debacle.  However, it is a
> > fact that after we replaced all the drives in that array it quit having
> > such a high level of disk failure.
>
> It's my understanding that laptop drives in particular are coated with
> a fine layer of diamond in order handle the banging around they get.
> So it is not unreasonable that they got a bunch dust in the wrong
> place.
>
> Greg

James P. Kinney III