[ale] SATA Hard Drive Issues?

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Wed Jan 27 10:59:21 EST 2010

On 01/27/2010 10:51 AM, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> Aren't identical drives subject to similar failures?

Yes, though I don't ever install them at the same time.  When possible,
I buy the same model, but stagger the purchases by two to three months
so as to get drives from different lots; at the *very* least, I will buy
them both at the same time, but install the second drive two to three
months later.  That way, the probability that they'll fail at the same
time and in the same way is at least reduced.

I have yet to actually replace any drives that have failed in this
configuration, so I don't yet know if any of these drives are going to
wind up failing in a similar manner at the same time.  So far, so good
though, and they are health-checked once per week.

	--- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                    Blog: http://mike.trausch.us/blog/
Tel: (404) 592-5746 x1                            Email: mike at trausch.us