[ale] usb drives suck

Mon Jan 25 14:00:10 EST 2010

You are correct. There is a reason why all camcorders with tape media
use Firewire for connectivity. Firewire has static throughput in the
specification. That's really important when your tape is going to be
turning at a constant speed. USB however has a "burst rate" and the
"average/guaranteed/reliable rate" is very poor as you have
discovered.

For anything external and important you want esata or firewire.

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 1:52 PM, Geoffrey <lists at serioustechnology.com> wrote:
> Maybe I don't have a good understanding of these things, but every time
> I try to write a substantial amount of data, gigs of data, it seems to
> take forever and the load average is through the roof.  Mostly it's %wait.
>
> Am I expecting more then these things are capable of?
>
> --
> Until later, Geoffrey
>
> "I predict future happiness for America if they can prevent
> the government from wasting the labors of the people under
> the pretense of taking care of them."
> - Thomas Jefferson

.!# RichardBronosky #!.