[ale] netbooks - what is good with Linux?

Edward Holcroft eholcroft at mkainc.com
Sun Jan 24 13:53:50 EST 2010

I have generally had good results with Acer. I also have an older Acer
3100, which is not really a netbook, but was one of the first
sub-compacts to get popularity (paid a fortune for it when I bought
it!). Again, things like camera, bluetooth and wifi worked out the
box, which is more than I can say of either Vista (bluetooth broken)
or Windows 7 (webcam broken) on this machine. Although I don't have
experience with the N450, Acer has always been a pretty good bet with
Linux in my exprience.

ed

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 00:47, David Ritchie <deritchie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Heres the one that I was looking at MicroCenter
>
> http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0326168
>
> which is the Acer Aspire One - N450, 1 GB (expandable to 2GB), 160 GB
> hard drive...
>
> for $299, it is has a good feature mix.. seems relatively peppy under
> Windows, will
> taking in a USB stick to try it out under Linux next...
>
> The other option I am thinking about the Toshiba netbook loaded with
> OpenSolaris and Windows that Sun is pushing through their website...
> a bit more money though.

Edward Holcroft
Madsen Kneppers & Associates Inc.
3020 Holcomb Bridge Rd. NW
Norcross, GA
30071
Tel (770) 446-9606
GoogleVoice (678) 587-UNIX

WARNING/CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:This message may be confidential and/or
privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
sender immediately then delete it - you should not copy or use it for
any purpose or disclose its content to any other person. Internet
communications are not secure. You should scan this message and any
attachments for viruses. Any unauthorized use or interception of this
e-mail is illegal.