[ale] network question

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Sat Jan 23 13:57:34 EST 2010

On Sat, 2010-01-23 at 11:13 -0700, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> Turn on forwarding on the machine on A then set the default route on
> the B machines to the machine on A
>
> :wq!
> --
>    Robert L. Harris

To be more clear:

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
if it is not 1, you need to turn it on:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

edit  /etc/sysctl to enable it at boot:
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

Restart the network on the aaa host.

Now, if you use the "bbb" IP of the "aaa" host as a gateway on the bbb
machines, you will be able to ping out.  On the aaa host, use your
network gateway as the gw address, on the bbb hosts, use the bbb
interface of the aaa host as the bbb gw.  If you are using iptables on
the aaa hosts, you will need to modify the iptables rules to allow
network traffic through put.  HTH