[ale] 64bit or 32bit

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Jan 21 12:21:18 EST 2010

On 01/21/2010 08:52 AM, James Sumners wrote:
> 64-bit applications use more RAM than their 32-bit counterparts due to
> the fact that pointers are larger on 64-bit platforms. So if you are
> worried about RAM usage you will likely want to use the 32-bit distro.

While data pointers are twice as large, and so a little more memory is
going to be used, if you're concerned about speed you'll want to use a
64-bit processor with a 64-bit operating system and 64-bit application
software because the operations are faster---it's more efficient to move
large data around on such systems.

Now, that said, if we're talking about memory or speed at this low a
level, then we're probably talking about embedded hardware, because this
would be the harder 20% of the optimization problem.

	--- Mike

Michael B. Trausch - mike at trausch.us
Tel: (404) 592-5746 x1