[ale] [OT] How Do You Make a Good Charts?

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Wed Jan 20 13:13:57 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:34 PM, George Carless <kafka at antichri.st> wrote:
> To echo a little of what others have been saying, I think your first step is to figure out what
> INFORMATION you're looking to derive from your charts; charts for their own sake aren't really very
> helpful.

I found the books and tutorials for GNU R very helpful in understanding
the different ways people visualize information.

My favorite book is by the late John W. Tukey, _Exploratory Data
Analysis_, which actually isn't R specific---it's more of a bridge
between pencil-and-paper methods and computers.

  http://is.gd/6Gfa1

I read it in 1999 or so, and it was a big eye opener for me.

--
  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>
  http://noserose.net/e/