[ale] nslookup works, ping doesn't ???

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 15:09:22 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Lightner, Jeff <jlightner at water.com> wrote:
> I don't use Suse but this seems odd to me.
>
> Are you sure resolv.conf isn't used?  Is it possible it just isn't there by default?   Maybe you need to manually create one.
>
> Is there an nsswitch.conf that tells it where to look?
>
> On a quick search I see many references to resolv.conf on OpenSuse 11.2.

Okay, I'll switch my comment about /etc/resolv.conf to say it is barely used:

---------------------------------
### /etc/resolv.conf file autogenerated by netconfig!
#
# Before you change this file manually, consider to define the
# static DNS configuration using the following variables in the
# /etc/sysconfig/network/config file:
#     NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SEARCHLIST
#     NETCONFIG_DNS_STATIC_SERVERS
#     NETCONFIG_DNS_FORWARDER
# or disable DNS configuration updates via netconfig by setting:
#     NETCONFIG_DNS_POLICY=''
#
# See also the netconfig(8) manual page and other documentation.
#
# Note: Manual change of this file disables netconfig too, but
# may get lost when this file contains comments or empty lines
# only, the netconfig settings are same with settings in this
# file and in case of a "netconfig update -f" call.
#
### Please remove (at least) this line when you modify the file!
search internal.norcrossgroup.com
-----------------------------------

Note only the last line is not a comment.

As to /etc/nsswitch.conf:

This file I don't know much about, but here it is:

--------------------------------
#
# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# An example Name Service Switch config file. This file should be
# sorted with the most-used services at the beginning.
#
# The entry '[NOTFOUND=return]' means that the search for an
# entry should stop if the search in the previous entry turned
# up nothing. Note that if the search failed due to some other reason
# (like no NIS server responding) then the search continues with the
# next entry.
#
# Legal entries are:
#
#       compat                  Use compatibility setup
#       nisplus                 Use NIS+ (NIS version 3)
#       nis                     Use NIS (NIS version 2), also called YP
#       dns                     Use DNS (Domain Name Service)
#       files                   Use the local files
#       [NOTFOUND=return]       Stop searching if not found so far
#
# For more information, please read the nsswitch.conf.5 manual page.
#

# passwd: files nis
# shadow: files nis
# group:  files nis

passwd: compat
group:  compat

hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns
networks:       files dns

services:       files
protocols:      files
rpc:            files