[ale] [OT] How Do You Make a Good Charts?

Marc Ferguson marcferguson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 09:36:45 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 9:21 AM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm not really seeing anything to "chart" (i.e. plot) in your
> exercise.png. What are you trying to measure? I suppose you could
> measure activity versus duration. That is, assign "Type of Exercise"
> to your y-axis variable and "Duration" to your x-axis variable.
>
> Brushing up on statistics might benefit you. A quick search turned up
> this online stats book -- [1].
>
> [1] -- http://wiki.stat.ucla.edu/socr/index.php/EBook
>
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Marc Ferguson <marcferguson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi Fellas,
> >
> > This is a really silly question, but I honestly don't know the answer.
> I'm
> > using Google Docs to keep track of my health (blood pressure, food log,
> > exercise, etc). I want to incorporate charts. For the life of me, I can't
> > figure out how my data should be organized in order to create the charts.
> >
> > The blood pressure chart worked, but when I tried to create one for
> > exercise, it didn't. I don't know why and all my google searches end up
> with
> > step by step instructions on how to make a chart via Excel. Not "How do I
> > organize my data, in the first place, so that a chart can be created!"
> > Thanks for any advice.
> >
> > http://www.fergytech.com/images/google-docs-blood-pressure.png
> > http://www.fergytech.com/images/google-docs-exercise.png
> >
> > --
> > Marc Ferguson
>

> --
> James Sumners
> http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/
>
> "All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts
> pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it
> is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become
> drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."
>
> Missionaria Protectiva, Text QIV (decto)
> CH:D 59

Thanks James. As simple as the concept is, I didn't think to search for
"statistics". I'll brush up on that. As for the exercise worksheet, I was
looking to measure level of activity. How many instances of "walking" am I
doing and probably in another chart, the average duration of each type of
exercise.

--
Marc Ferguson

www.fergytech.com
www.digitalalias.net

"When life gives me lemons... I make Linuxaide, hmm good stuff!"