[ale] Copy-on-write file?

JK jknapka at kneuro.net
Sun Jan 17 22:52:41 EST 2010

On 1/17/2010 11:07 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> What about putting the new image on it's own partition and make it an
> append only partition?

I don't think that will do what I want...  But maybe I misunderstand you.
Are you talking about setting the "append-only" extfs attribute?  In
that case, writes always go at the end, and nothing special is done
to make it appear as if the write were done at the requested place in
the file.  Since what I want to do is fsck an image of a filesystem,
it's critical that data gets written to the appropriate offsets in
the file.  What I'm looking for is a way to have that happen while
simultaneously preserving the original file contents, since I am not
confident fsck.hfsplus is totally reliable.  (For one thing, it wants
me to "--force" it to do the fsck, since it apparently doesn't know
what to do with the HFS+ journal.)

-- JK

--
As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations
it is incapable of solving approaches zero. -- V, Order of the Stick