[ale] email hosting questions

David Tomaschik david at tuxteam.com
Sat Jan 16 18:16:13 EST 2010

Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I have changed to a static IP, and I am in the process of setting up my linux
> box to host my own email. Will I get blacklisted, or have outgoing email
> bounce if I use my own box using sendmail ?
> any other hints/tips/suggestions??

If you have the following, you're probably fine:

1) An ISP that does not block port 25 in/out
2) An ISP that will let you set the reverse dns for your IP
3) Set up an SPF record for that IP for email for your domain(s) [1]

There are certain netblocks more likely to be flagged as spam than
others.  Some rulesets for filters like SpamAssassin include
Comcast/AT&T/Other big Telco/Cable network netblocks in their filters.

Also, there's something to be said depending on whether you use this
email for personal or commercial purposes.  Obviously, the reliability
of home internet connections (even those labeled as business class) is
less than that of the connection in a datacenter.  Downtimes > 4h will
result in warning messages to many email systems, and 4h is certainly
something I've seen on my Comcast connection.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework

--
David Tomaschik, RHCE
Moderator, LinuxQuestions.org