[ale] datastorageunit.com

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Fri Jan 15 23:30:04 EST 2010

On 01/15/2010 05:42 PM, Jim Lynch wrote:
> Jim Kinney wrote:
>> Fantastic idea! Distributed, redundant, encrypted cloud storage. I've
>> seen some filesystems designed for this but I have not seen the
>> encrypted part included.
>>
> With the price of USB drives what they are it's cheap to provide way
> more space than you could realistically use over a relatively slow
> internet connection.   That's  only if you don't have extra internal space.

If there is a fire, or maybe a burglary, I may very well lose my
original and my backup USB drive.  You can certainly store your backup
somewhere offsite, but there is some actual physical effort involved in
that.

Automatic and hassle free off site backup is wonderful when you can make
it work.  I've used programs like rsync, rdiff-backup, and backup-pc to
make this happen on surprisingly large data sets even with the backup
server sitting behind a 768/128 DSL.

My personal backup needs are small, well under half a gig of encrypted
tarballs to move around.  I have a job that automatically rsyncs the
backups to one of my web servers.  I try to regularly run a manual
backup to one of my USB flash drives, and I am currently manually
running a backup job that uses scp to copy the backups to my Android
phone over wifi.

I'd really like to automate the phone backup.  I very rarely leave home
without the phone.

Pat