[ale] wireless sanity/security check

wolf at wolfhalton.info wolf at wolfhalton.info
Mon Jan 4 17:56:20 EST 2010

About locks

Locks keep out opportunists.
I was a professional locksmith for 10 years.
Most of the locks you see (on residences) are worth about 20 seconds to
a minute or two.
If you want to frustrate a thief have your lock changed to a Schlage
and request a key code with the deep cuts toward the bow and shallower
cuts toward the tip.
975642 would be good.  This is harder to pick than luck-of-the-draw
factory choices.
Schlage has more combinations than Kwikset or Kwickset knockoffs (10 per
pin instead of 7)
Longer cylinders are harder to pick.  so a 6 pin lock is harder than the
more-common 5-pin.
    just like a 6-char password is harder to crack than a 5-char
password.
Most locks are just designed to keep the doors from blowing open when
the wind blows.
But they keep the lock-owners calm.

There are a few commercial-grade locksets that make Schlage look like a
picnic pick, (pun intended)
but you rarely see them on residences that cost out less than a couple
of Mil$ value.

As far as vpns and so on.  The more disparate passwords
and other security measures you place in the way of this
determined attacker, the better.

I have seen a number of good solutions in this thread
Mostly the time required to implement is in the set-up, so it will be
invisible to your users after they get used to the (possible)
extra password they need to get on the network.