[ale] wireless sanity/security check

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Mon Jan 4 01:03:54 EST 2010

The thing is that WPA2 not only relies on not-ancient hardware, but also
compliant hardware.  WPA2-PSK support is fairly common, and most people will
find that as being their weakness due to generally weak passwords.  Most
people still run WEP, and do not change their network SSID from its default.

The only provable way to secure a wireless network thay has sensitive
information on it (in the sense that you would not want someone stealing the
data on your network because you could be sued or whatever) is to use strong
encryption and access control.  A VPN provides both, depending on what type
of VPN is being used.  And it will work with very old WiFi hardware, too,
which is a plus for many people I know.

It does require more setup... but for many reasons it is worth it if your
wireless network is for more than just guest use.  And you won't get your
Internet shut off because they were able to come in as a guest and send out
all sorts of things your ISP doesn't like.

    --- Mike

--
Sent from my ADP1 Phone running Cyanogen