[ale] OT: password gripe

Chris Ness luxomni at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 1 11:29:45 EST 2010

On Thu, 2009-12-31 at 16:57 -0500, wolf at wolfhalton.info wrote:
> I use a book-cipher and a modified caesar-cipher on the term from the
> book(s) for most stuff.
> This is really simple to remember but creates pretty strong passwords.
> like this - you just have to remember who your friends are:
>
> FTR%I(E$NJDRSER5
> Frtr45i89e34nhjdersweR$5

So you write it down (weak point) and read it and type (time out) or
memorize it (you are better than I to memorize things like that for such
limited use)

And then you have three times to get it right or the system locks you
out; and you have to either have a have a machine online with some
trivial question and answer verification unlock the system to let you
compose a new code; or have human do it over the phone the same way.
Seems like a weaker point of contact to me.

If you are that paranoid, you might want a fingerprint scanner. I have
seen them on laptops, I presume there must be a usb dongle somewhere -
of course then you will get a paper cut and render the whole thing
impenetrable.

Maybe do it in bar code put it in your wallet (tattoo it on your
forearm?) and carry a barcode scanner around with you?

Heavy duty when you consider your bank uses a four digit passcode for
your instant bank card.